Registration Requirements for Internationally Educated Dentists

To practise as a regulated health professional in Ontario, you must be a member of your profession’s regulatory college and hold a certificate of registration. Regulated health professionals are required by law to deliver competent, ethical and professional services, and are accountable to the public through their respective colleges.

The Royal College of Dental Surgeons of Ontario (RCDSO) is the regulatory body for dentist practice in Ontario. The College’s mission is to protect the public's right to quality dental services by providing leadership to the dental profession through self-regulation.

Ontario Registration Requirements

Dentists are categorized in two groups: General Dentistry and Specialty Dentistry.

To practise dentistry in Ontario, internationally educated dentists must hold a General Certificate of Registration or Specialty Certificate of Registration and meet the requirements set out by the Royal College of Dental Surgeons of Ontario.

Internationally trained dentists who are graduates of a non-accredited program must successfully complete a full-time two-year qualifying program or the National Dental Examining Board of Canada’s (NDEB) Equivalency Process. These two paths are the only way to gain eligibility to take the NDEB national examination – a requirement for all candidates.

Internationally trained dental specialists who are graduates of a non-accredited dental specialty program must either complete an accredited specialty program or successfully complete the Dental Specialty Core Knowledge Exam (DSCKE) and a Dental Specialty Assessment and Training Program (DSATP). Note that the specialty in which you were trained must be a recognized specialty in Canada. These are the only options to gain access to the National Dental Specialty Exams, a requirement for all dental specialists.

To learn more about the registration requirements, please visit the Royal College of Dental Surgeons of Ontario website.


How the Access Centre Can Help

Visit Services for Internationally Educated Health Professionals for information about Access Centre services and how to participate.