Registration Requirements for Internationally Educated Massage Therapists

To practise as a regulated health professional in Ontario, you must be a member of your profession’s regulatory college and hold a certificate of registration. Regulated health professionals are required by law to deliver competent, ethical and professional services, and are accountable to the public through their respective colleges.

The College of Massage Therapists of Ontario (CMTO) is the regulatory body for massage therapists in Ontario. The CMTO is dedicated to excellence in protecting the public, serving its members, and promoting the highest possible quality of the practice of massage therapy in a safe and ethical manner.

Ontario Registration Requirements

To practice as a Registered Massage Therapist in Ontario, internationally educated massage therapists must hold a Certificate of Registration with the College of Massage Therapists of Ontario (CMTO). To receive a Certificate of Registration, internationally educated massage therapists must pursue the following:

  1. Complete the Credential and Prior Learning Assessment (CPLA). The CPLA consists of three parts:
    • Credential Assessment
    • English or French Language Assessment (if it’s indicated that the applicant’s first language is neither French nor English)
    • Diagnostic Assessment
  2. Following the CPLA, applicants will be referred to one of three pathways to becoming licensed.
    • Direct Access to the College’s certification Examination
    • “Bridging to Massage Therapy in Ontario” Program
    • Ontario Diploma Programs in Massage Therapy
  3. Complete the College’s Certification Examination.
  4. Show proof of Canadian citizenship, Permanent Residency or authorization to work in Canada.
  5. Obtain professional liability insurance in the minimum amount required by the College.
  6. Complete and submit an Application for Registration.

To learn more about the registration requirements, please visit the College of Massage Therapists of Ontario website.


How the Access Centre Can Help

Visit Services for Internationally Educated Health Professionals for information about Access Centre services and how to participate.