Registration Requirements for Internationally Educated Occupational Therapists

To practise as a regulated health professional in Ontario, you must be a member of your profession’s regulatory college and hold a certificate of registration. Regulated health professionals are required by law to deliver competent, ethical and professional services, and are accountable to the public through their respective colleges.

The College of Occupational Therapists of Ontario (COTO) is the regulatory body for occupational therapy practice in Ontario. The College of Occupational Therapists of Ontario is a self-governing body that protects the public interest and improves their health and well-being by registering, regulating, and supporting the ongoing competency of occupational therapists.

If you are applying for general or provisional registration, and you have graduated from an occupational therapy program outside of Canada, you are required to complete the Substantial Equivalency Assessment System (SEAS) process as the first step for registration in Ontario. SEAS will determine whether your educational qualifications and competencies are substantially equivalent to an Ontario-educated Occupational Therapist.

Ontario Registration Requirements

To practise occupational therapy in Ontario, internationally educated occupational therapists must hold a Certificate of Registration and meet the requirements set out by the College:

  1. Meet the education and clinical practicum requirement by completing SEAS and receiving a disposition report.
  2. Meet the current practice hours-evidence of practice by COTO.
  3. CAOT Exam Registration (Provisional).
  4. Employer Acknowledgement Form (Provisional).
  5. Pass the National Occupational Therapy Certification Exam.
  6. Have professional liability insurance, which includes a sexual abuse therapy and counselling fund endorsement.
  7. Meet the suitability to practice requirement.
  8. Provide evidence of language fluency, either in English of French.
  9. Be eligible to work in Canada.

To learn more about the registration requirements, please visit the College of Occupational Therapists of Ontario website.


How the Access Centre Can Help

Visit Services for Internationally Educated Health Professionals for information about Access Centre services and how to participate